Re: [GENERAL] using Oids to retrieve a row

От Herouth Maoz
Тема Re: [GENERAL] using Oids to retrieve a row
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At 18:32 +0200 on 26/03/1999, Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> are you doing this in psql?
>
> Or perl, php, or some other?
>
> perl and php both have methods for getting the oid of the last
> inserted row (use "$oid = $sth->{'pg_oid_status'};"
>  in perl and "$oid = pg_GetLastOid($result_id);" in php )
> Look at the php documentation, or do 'perldoc DBD::Pg'
> to see more details.

A word of warning, though: retrieving a row by its oid doesn't make
retrieval faster. You have to create an index on the oid column, otherwise
it's plain sequential search. Personally, I prefer defining an indexed
serial field and using currval.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.